Monday, September 13, 2010

Feel The Same Way I Do?

'You know we been spending a lot of time together and I was just wondering if you...feel the same way I do?' -Destiny's Child 'Feel The Same Way I Do'

You know I once heard that when dealing with people in a relationship you can't trust what each other say for at least a month...or 2 (shout out to Lupe Fiasco). But what's supposed to happen if you say get to month 2 and you both have a lot of feelings for the person your dating but still have insecurities about the relationship. I know the main concern I have in the beginning of every potential relationship is how much is too much to reveal about how you feel. 'How much should I say about myself' and 'what exactly I'm looking for to not seem 'thirsty' or 'a little more into this than I need to be'; all of these questions seem to be the main cause of concern. You know that scary/unsure yet exciting time when you're getting to know someone and you want to look like the perfect 'candidate' for boyfriend/girlfriend material all while trying not to display too much of your 'crazy'. (sidebar: everybody has some crazy traits about them that may seem normal to you but looked at through a dates eyes, you look nuts...but I digress)

It's a nervous time figuring out if this person really likes me for me, if this person seems to be truly into me, or if this even going somewhere. Many questions asked, many games played, and lots of tests being conducted to see if you are who you say you are. I know that last statement for a fact because apparently everyone's been hurt and no one wants to go through that again...or at least that's the story everyone is going with.

It seems as though not many people are willing to put themselves 'out there' because we've all been scarred by some past love or some past relationship and it won't allow us to feel for anyone so quickly (sometimes even at all!!!) As humans we all desire love and want to feel appreciated by someone we care for but at the same time our natural response to something that may have hurt us in the past is to put up a defense mechanism, other wise known that handy dandy 'wall' that everyone seems to have built up.

But to truly acquire that love that we're all searching for it requires a great leap of faith. You gotta put yourself out there and hope for the best. If you really like that person your getting to know, tell them. If you wanna make the relationship work, put in some work. If you want that person to stay, show it. Yeah you might get hurt or have your pride stomped on but love is a bitch with 5 inch heels on. The worst a person can say is no, and in that case all that person is doing is making room for the right person to walk into your life.

Take a chance on love...

Besides, how can you truly know what it means to be in love with someone or have some character in the relationship category if you don't have a couple war wounds and stories to tell of love gone wrong? War wounds are sexy ;)

Until next time folks, '...Keep calm and carry on'

2 comments:

  1. "Apparently everyone's been hurt before..."

    This is the truth and it took me until recently to learn how not to carry old bags into a new house, metaphorically speaking. And now I subscribe to the idea that I'm going to go with my gut feelings: If I want to hear your voice (I'm going to call), if I want to go into extra detail to tell you exactly how you make me smile (I'll do so)...and I'll do this without even considering how "crazy" I might look.

    A lot of times we hold back by not communicating how we feel and also not showing it. Because of this some relationships don't even get off the ground. And also by holding back the things that are so natural to us to save face...we are not only denying our potential mate a glimpse into our heart's we are also depriving ourselves of a chance to truly fall in love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can not give anyone in this world more than what they are giving you.I have no problem saying I love you if I feel genuine love and i dont feel those emotions in days or weeks.

    ReplyDelete