Friday, October 22, 2010

How Unfortunate....

We all know the face...and you ALL know what I'm talking about.

Here's the scenario: You're meet a whole new group of people and you're doing the standard 'getting to know you process'. Everyone is having a good time, eating, laughing, and loving like those happy white folks do in the movie. Then it all happens...the question of death, and you know who it's coming from too. The only couple in said group asks you the all important question: 'So are you single?' and the room becomes deathly silent. At that moment all conversation stops and all attention is squarely on you. Are you or aren't you? Then you utter the three magic words 'Yes I am' and that's where the looks begin. All the people who are coupled up look at you with the look most people give the starving kids from Africa on those 'feed the children commercials'. I like to call that the 'condescension special'; because heaven forbid your single by choice.

What is up with that anyway? Why do people in society feel as though being single is a punishment worse than death? It seems as though a single person is in automatic contention for a life doomed to be lived alone with 20 cats and an imaginary friend that's really a volleyball. Being single doesn't make you the bane of everyone's existence or mean that something's wrong with you, it just your relationship status at the moment. Who's to say that you always need to be with someone to define your happiness and make you whole?

Most of the people that are silently judging you for being single have that very problem!!! They find security in their mate and don't really take the time to get right with themselves. So they define being whole by being with someone and that's where they get the game completely wrong. Being by yourself, gives you time to really 'get into' yourself, and learn more about what you are capable of. Not to mention you learn how much and how long your capable of going without some things that you may have once thought only another body could bring you. Being single should be worn as a badge of honor, taken in regards in the highest regard of any situation. So the next time, someone gives you the 'condescension special' when you tell them you're single simply proclaim...

I AM SINGLE, HEAR ME ROAR!!!

(P.S. u might wanna change that temporarily while it's cuffin' season though #imjustsayin)

Until next time folks '...Keep calm and carry on'

2 comments:

  1. I love that I came across this post now, because today actually marks the first time since I was 17 that I have stayed TRULY single (by this I mean, not in-between relationships, "seeing" someone, etc) for an entire month. I know, I know.. I've been a locked up bitch for a while. But I agree with everything you said. I don't think I've learned so much about myself and the world around me in one month. Not to mention, I haven't had this much FUN in years! Power to the single people, I don't give a damn if it's cuffin season.. those fuckers are all gonna break up and start humping everything around them the minute it gets warm enough to wear shorts again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lizette u summed everything up in that last sentence lol

    ReplyDelete