Thursday, October 7, 2010

Finding the Root to Your Tree

In life we all have to go through times in our life where we have to evaluate what friends are here to stay for the long haul and the ones who are only good for the moment. All of them, are vital to your growing as an individual but most aren't necessary for the long haul. It may sound pretty harsh but the reality of the situation is that all of your so called 'friends' won't be in your life forever. There is an old saying goes 'People are going to be coming in and out of your life like seasons, its important to find the root to your tree and let all the leaves go' and I couldn't agree more.

Some people are placed in your life to teach you a lesson, whether it be for good or for bad they have an influence. Most of the time you will have what I like to call 'situational friends', who you confide in just because due to the scenario your in they're the closest to you. The perfect example of this would be the relationship with most of your high school friends. If you really think about it High School is the greater set up for life in the real world, the people and scenario's you encounter in high school will be the same situations you go through in life only with a slightly more mature dialogue.

But I digress...

I use the high school friends example because usually in High School you learn the most about people and their ways; especially which people are there for you and who aren't. Usually its a large group of people who hang together because they are all going through the same situation (High School) and are just trying to find someone to confide in going through the same problems you are in the moment. Sometimes you will run into a certain number of people who are there for you but more times you'll find friends who are only there for you in the moment. I know I didn't really grasp this until I got out of high school and went to college. Most of the people I considered close to me, distanced themselves from me once we weren't in the same scenario anymore. I still have some really great friends from high school, but not nearly as much as I did when I was in high school. I wasn't really mad when this happened because I really grasped the idea of people being 'leaves' in your life and the one's that are 'the root to your tree'. My number of people decreased but my understanding of people and the way they operate increased.

All of this is to say that having a greater understand of who is a 'leaf' and 'root' in your life is very vital to learn and grow as a person. 'Leaves' will come and go as the situation does; the 'root to your' tree will stay with you and really ride for you through thick and thin. Your root will always keep it real with you and forever have your best interest at heart. 'Roots' will progress with you and not try to hold you back if your doing a little bit better than them and vice versa. On the contrary,'leaves' will be right there with you when things are great and at the first sign of trouble bolt on the next thing smoking. 'Leaves' also tell you what you wanna hear as opposed to what you need to hear. 'Leaves' always remind you of what they've done for you and never let you forget it. 'Leaves' generally are only concerned with their well being and can could give a damn about what your doing.

Personally, I appreciate both 'leaves' and 'roots' because they are great learning experiences. If you don't have one you can't appreciate the lesson the other is teaching you. Negative or positive, there is always a lesson to be learned in any scenario. Now whether you pay attention to that lesson is up to you. But I'm sure your 'root' will help you figure it out.

Until next time folks'...Keep calm and carry on'

No comments:

Post a Comment